For many of us cooking is fun, relaxing or even a family bonding activity; however, are you aware that cooking is the leading cause of home fires? The kitchen is where more home fires occur than anywhere else in the house! How do you prevent kitchen fires? Just follow these steps:
- Install a smoke alarm near your kitchen if you don’t have one already. Please make sure to test it monthly and change the batteries every 6 months.
- Never leave the house while cooking! If you’re baking, broiling or grilling make sure to check on your food regularly. The good idea is to use a timer to remind you that the stove/oven is on. Just turn off the stove If you need to leave the kitchen for an extended period of time!
- Keep anything that can catch fire- such as oven mitts, pot holders, wooden utensils, plastic bags, towels etc. away from the stove! Moreover, do not wear loose clothing or dangling sleeves while cooking as these can catch fire easily.
- Prevent grease up by clean cooking surfaces regularly!
- Have a fire extinguisher handy in your kitchen, and learn how to use it – Remember- PASS: Pull the pin, Aim at the base, Squeeze trigger & Sweep.
Bonus tip: unplug electric appliances such as toaster ovens, blenders, coffee makers etc. when not in use. These type of appliances continue to draw electricity even when they’re not turned on so if the wiring is old or faulty or if the thermostat overheats a fire could break out.
Be creative, be safe, have fun and bon appétit!