Fire extinguisher is the first line of defence against small fires. It is crucial to know how to use a fire extinguisher in order to protect yourself and your property. If you experience a fire, please follow the following steps:
- Sound the fire alarm, if there is one, and call fire department right away.
- Know the type of fire so you can get the right type of fire extinguisher. For more information please click here.
- Before attacking a fire ensure that an evacuation route is free from fire, heat and smoke.
- Use P.A.S.S. technique.
- PULL: Pull the pin so you can break the sealing strap. Twisting the pin would help to break the seal.
- AIM: Aim the hose nozzle at the base of the fire. Keep approximately 8 feet distance from the fire.
- SQUEEZE: Squeeze the handle to expel the extinguishing agent.
- SWEEP: Sweep from side to side at the base of the fire until it extinguishes.
- After finishing the extinguishing agent and the fire still continues, evacuate the building immediately.
Otis Fire Protection provides different types of fire extinguishers with different sizes. We install, inspect and certify fire extinguishers. For more information, please contact us.