Fire needs three elements to ignite, which are heat, fuel, and oxygen. Removing any one of these elements will extinguish a fire. This is where a fire extinguisher becomes handy. It will prevent the chemical reaction between these three elements and the fire from being spread. Fire extinguishers are our first line of defense against fires. Therefore, it is important to inspect and service fire extinguishers to ensure the proper functioning of these devices in case of emergency. Otis Fire Protection Inc. has ASTTBC certified and experienced inspectors that provide professional fire extinguisher inspection services in Vancouver.
There are different types of fire classes (Class A, B, C, D, K). Fire types depend on a combustible element that involves fire. Different types of fire require a different type of extinguishing agent. Otis Fire Protection inspectors will assure that you have the adequate type of fire extinguisher. We will inspect, service and supply all types of portable fire extinguishers including:
- Dry Chemical – Class A, B, C (the most common fire extinguisher).
- Wet Chemical.
- Carbon Dioxide – CO2.
- Pressurized Water and Foam.
- Clean Agent.
- Dry Powder – Class D.
- Water Mist.
- Cartridge Operated Dry Chemical.
Referencing NFPA 10, fire extinguishers are required to be inspected regularly by a certified technician. During this inspection, a qualified technician should visually inspect the unit and make sure that:
- The location of the fire extinguisher is easy to see and access.
- The extinguisher is in optimal physical condition (ie; no corrosion, dents, cracks, and damage to the pin).
- The arrow pressure gauge is functioning properly.
- The fire extinguisher is full (confirmed by checking the gauge, weighing or lifting depending on the type of extinguisher).
An annual inspection of a fire extinguisher is required by NFPA 10 and B.C. Fire Code Section 6.2. Depending on your location and the type of unit, the inspection may need to be performed by a certified professional. The following are all considerations for a fire extinguisher inspection:
- Mechanical parts of all fire extinguishers.
- Extinguishing agent.
- Expelling means.
- Physical condition.
- All monthly inspection requirements.
- Making sure the fire extinguisher system is in good working condition.
- Check safety seals, tags, pressure gauge reading, and HMIS table.
- Inspect shell and nameplate.
- Check hanger/seismic bracing.
- Determine 6 – year maintenance or hydrostatic test. We provide a 6-year recharge service of your fire extinguisher.
- Hydro testing – if your extinguisher has managed to make it to 5 or 12 years, depending on the type of extinguisher, without needing to be replaced, Otis Fire Protection will have it hydro-tested. It involves charging the physical body of the fire extinguisher with water at test pressure. This will help expose any hidden sign of corrosion, crack or weaknesses in the extinguisher.
Contact usto schedule your fire extinguisher inspection and servicing in Vancouver.
Copyright © 2019 | Otis Fire All rights reserved